Thursday, May 8, 2008

Donovan and the Fibrele Seizure

I got a call tonight at work from Melissa. Donovan was really sick and was running a high fever. Melissa was really worried about him. I left work, got in my car and headed home. Melissa called me when I was on the interstate. She had called 911. Donovan was having a seizure. It lasted 2 to 3 minutes. I got to the house. The ambulance was parked out front. Melissa was coming out of the house holding Donovan with the two paramedics. Donovan was just in his diaper crying uncontrollably. Melissa and Donovan headed off to the hospital. Fortunately, my mom was in town. She was with Hayden. Our neighbor Matt came over to offer to help. We appreciated Matt coming over to offer help, especially if I wasn't around and Melissa was alone with the boys.

My Mom and I followed the ambulance. When we got to the hospital, Hayden and I headed in and found Donovan and Melissa. Donovan's fever had spiked again. He was still crying uncontrollably. The doctors ran several tests. We now have a new F-word in the house. The doctors determined he had a fibrele seizure due to the fever spike. It was a very scary night, but Donovan started doing a lot better and Melissa gave him some crackers and he got happy again. I dropped my mom and Hayden off at home and went back to the hospital to be with Donovan and Melissa.

Donovan was discharged later in the night. We checked Hayden after he went to bed, and poor little Hayden was running a high fever - 103.7. Melissa and I were very worried, so we woke him up, gave him a sponge bath and medicine. Melissa was really worried he might have a seizure too. You just don't know. Fibrele seizures are hereditary, but neither Melissa nor I ever had them.

Looks like we will be staying up for part of the night checking on them. Melissa and I are going to make a Motrin run upstairs now and hopefully they go right back to sleep. As of now, their party is still on for Saturday unless the doctor says otherwise! In addition to party guests, we should have a good turnout of viruses to share. Right now though it is Motrin time!

No comments: