Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Something to think about

Two things happened today compelling me to blog.

Today I found out my friend Skye’s husband passed away yesterday night after a courageous battle with cancer. This loss for her and her young son is unimaginable and brings tears to my eyes just thinking about what they are going through.

Second thing occurred at about 5ish right outside my house. While packing suitcases in our living room I heard a crash. I can’t describe exactly what it sounded like other than to say I knew right away it was not a car vs car sort of crash. This was the sound of a car vs bike type of crash. The woman hit was laying face down and motionless in the middle of 63rd street (on the opposite side of Wisconsin as I am on). After dialing 911 I watched from my house as people gathered around her while she laid completely and totally still. After a little bit I could hear her moaning and saying help me. I was hoping she had just been knocked unconscious and when she came to she would get up. I am assuming her coming to and not getting up could not have been a good thing. After what seemed like forever but I am sure could only have been a couple of minutes the ambulance arrived (and blocked my view). About ten minutes after arriving they put her in the ambulance and after about another ten minutes drove off with their sirens on. I am hoping she is going to be all right, she did at least have a bike helmet on. The neighbors were all out there so maybe they will know more the next time we talk.

Life really does just hang in the balance.

Melissa

5 comments:

Kyle the Dad said...

To add to Melissa's post, Skye's husband, David Fischer-Hewitt, passed away last night after succumbing to brain cancer. Skye has kept a blog from the time before David was diagnosed throughout this whole ordeal. The site is http://dreamsofawildflower.blogspot.com

I cannot fathom the ordeal that Skye, David and their son have gone through and how they have coped with such strength and courage.

Skye is a beautiful writer. She conveys the emotional side of this terrible situation with remarkable compassion, clarity and courage. Skye's words will teach you more about compassion, coping and courage than you can imagine. It is worth your time to read her blog to get an understanding of her's and David's journey.

Skye, David, and Alec, our thoughts are with you.

Scott said...

Do you have any update on the girl on the bike? I drove by yesterday and my heart stopped when I saw it. The ambulance was just arriving when I drove by.

Anonymous said...

Nope, I have not heard anything or talked to anyone yet.

I think my heart was stopped for about the next three hours.

What Scott is this?

Melissa

Scott said...

Scott who used to work with Kyle at vBR.

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott!

How are you, Genie and Reagan? I hope you are doing well!

Kyle