Sunday, April 18, 2010

Boogie All Night

Over the past 7 hours, the most common word among our household has been Boogie! Donovan has a runny nose. I think he is not feeling well. So I did what any good parent does, I took Hayden and Donovan to the gym so they could play in the day care area. I guess while I was working out, Donovan told a few of the ladies there, "I got boogie," and they would then wipe his runny nose off with a tissue. When I picked them up at the end of my workout, Donovan again said, "I got boogie" to one of the workers. Only this time, one of the workers acted almost repulsed that a child would say "Boogie." I was ready to lash back a few choice words like, "Don't act like you never heard the word Boogie before, after all you probably lived through the 70s;" or "Boogie is his code word for giant duece"; or with the proverbial "He's 2, give him a break."

I don't know if she was unimpressed that he was misusing the term Booger, when he should have used the term snot or mucus. Today, I will begin teaching Donovan the proper scientific term for the mucus problem that Donovan has since it is not truly a booger, which is dried up mucus. Donovan, please say "I have snot" which is the proper term for runny nose. If it's dried up, then say Booger, not Boogie.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

As a mother of 3 I would prefer the word "boogie" to stomach churning snot. It's a bit refreshing to hear another parent somewhat confused by what people in the "public" think is ok. It's kind of like my 7 yr old in the middle of Wal-Mart telling me she just pooted, well it's nature can't help it but the people on the aisle run like a rabbit seeing a man w/ a shot gun, according to the "established" less country city folk, things like that should be taken care of in the bathroom.